Friday, February 18, 2011

Purpose

There's something beautiful about a person filled with purpose.  Purpose, a goal, something to run after, is an attractive quality.  I've been doing a bit of seeking on purpose in the last month or so, and it's been a journey of listening, learning, and stepping out in the truths that I've learned about who He's created me to be.  There's something incredibly satisfying in having a purpose.

Jesus is a pretty purposeful guy.  He's always known what he's about, and he sticks to that purpose, even when it's hard.  In John 12, right after Jesus delivers the famous lines, "Anyone who loves their life will lose it...," he and God the Father have this little dialogue about the cross:

Jesus: "Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? No, it was for this very reason I cam to this hour. Father, glorify your name!

Then a voice came from heaven,

God the Father: I have glorified it, and will glorify it again."

It's all over the gospels. Jesus is purposeful.  He does things intentionally.  He does them with the cross in mind.  It's amazing to imagine the power of that foresight---the impact that that purpose would have on a person's daily life.  When Jesus called the first disciples, he knew that he would die for them.  Jesus was about his Father's glory.  He lived life in light of that.

And so should we.

So, I'm asking, daily, "God, what do you have for me today? How can I bring you glory?" And it turns out that life is a bit more exciting when you live in light of what He has to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment