Thursday, January 31, 2013

Things That Are Funny.

There are a number of funny/awesome/random things about life in Spain so far. Here are a few: 

  • There are quite a few tourists wandering around Mijas. One of the things they do is ride these 'donkey taxis' around the town. It's a pretty comical sight to see a grown man being led around on a small donkey. It looks something like this: 


  • One of the local shop owners is half-Iowan. I was wandering around town one afternoon and stopped to admire a lovely leather bag in a shop window. The shop owner came outside and asked where I was from (because I don't quite fit the physical description of a local), and I answered, "The United States," like usual. He asked where, and I responded, "I'm from Iowa," with a hint of question, because most people don't have a clue where Iowa is located. He says, "Really?! My father was born in Sioux City!" If I wasn't before, I'm definitely now a believer in the world's smallness.  
  • All the shops are closed between the hours of 2 and 5 pm here in Mijas. Siesta. Naptime. It's serious business. 
  • Toilet paper is un-flushable. Bathroom garbage cans have lids. 
  • Because of the previously mentioned donkey taxis roaming around Mijas, you have to watch your step on the lovely cobbled streets. 
  • There's a group of nice older gentlemen that sit in the square down the street from our house. They have fun hats, some have canes, and they seem to be in constant conversation/consideration about the happenings of Mijas. They always sit on the same bench, and they always have a friendly, "Hola!" for me on my way to and from class. We're friends. 
  • Good news: An ice cream shop opened for the season. Bad news: It's on our street. 

2 comments:

  1. Jenny, Have I ever told you that you are hilarious!!!!! I love you! <3 ~Kristi Dorney

    ReplyDelete